Skip to main content

Making Chicken Stock at home

Making chicken stock at home.

I have been making chicken stock at home for years.  I used to use the crock pot or stove top....but it was an all day adventure.  Now with the instant pot it is SOOOO much easier. 

We smoke whole chickens.  So we always have the chicken bones left.  If you cook whole chickens or even get rotisserie chickens from your local store, you can make chicken stock too. 

Recently I have seen much on the health front  about the benefits of drinking bone broth. From gut health to joint mobility.  Rich and nutritious broth is all the rage.

One of the reasons I like to make my own stock is I have control of what I put in it.  I can control the salt content.  If you have dietary restrictions this is huge.  I have friends who have family members who can not eat onions. Making your own stock is a perfect way to ensure that you have the rich flavor and nutritional content that your family can tolerate.

We are big soup eaters in the fall and winter.  I make sure and keep a big supply of stock in my freezer to add the long cooked taste to all my quick cooking soups.

What you need:

Instant Pot
Cooked Chicken Bones (meat removed)
16 cups of water
1 onion
2-3 stalks of celery
2-3 carrots
2-3 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
2 tsp dried parsley
Pepper & Salt to Taste

I start out with just the water and the bones in the instant pot.  Cook of the broth setting for one hour.  I like to slow release.  After you can open the IP back up, its time to add your aromatics.  This is up to you.  The ingredients listed above are very traditional flavors for stock. 

Once you have added your aromatics and spices cook for another hour on the broth setting.  I like to let mine cool overnight and then strain it with a mesh strainer into mason jars.  I freeze mine in the jars.  Whatever freezer container you are most comfortable with is great.  Just remember if using plastic that the broth should be very cool.

Having stock in my freezer is so great.  I have to make quick soups, sauces and gravy's.  Not to mention if you have someone recovering from an illness or surgery it is a great way to get protein that is easy digestible.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Everyday Shoes

Favorite Kicks I bought these shoes about a year & a half. I LOVE them. I stalked these shoes at my local DSW, I looked up outfits for these shoes on Pinterest. I did my due diligence.  Needless to say, I have already gotten my money worth and they are still kicking! I bought mine at my local Store. You can find them online HERE . These are Dr. Sholl’s brand. They have memory foam and are terrific for walking all day. Not to mention, they are a pretty reasonable price point, especially when you consider how often I wear them! I wear them with jeans, leggings and shorts. I’ve even paired them with the occasional relaxed dress. What I love most about them is that they are as comfortable as my running shoes, but they take it up a knotch with fashion & style.

Tomato Soup

Tomato Soup is an absolute classic.   Homemade tomato soup is  delicious and so easy, it also happens to be one of my family’s favorites. It’s easy to make on the stove top. A good heavy bottom pot, wooden spoon & immersion blender or regular blender. Ingredients: 1 medium onion 3-4 stalks of celery 6-7 carrots 1-2 tablespoons of butter Salt Pepper 1 tsp dried parsley 1 tsp dried basil 2 large cans or tomatoes  1 carton on chicken stock 1/2 cup Parmesan  Milk    or half & half  In a large pot, melt butter on medium high heat. Add large chunks of onion. Let get translucent or just a little browned. Then add celery and carrots. Large chunks is fin because this whole soup will get blended down. Season throughout cooking process. Stir regularly.  As veggies begin to soften add tomatoes. Stir well, put lid on and lower to medium/low heat. Let come to a boil stirring occasionally to avoid scalding...

Motherhood

Motherhood has the unique ability to expose our deepest weaknesses as well as highlight personal substance you never knew was there. In the trenches of the days of no sleep, spit up covered shirts and endless dirty diapers you discover the deepest part of who you are. One thing I have learned in the last almost 10 years of motherhood, is that knowing who I am is vital to my success. As Americans, I see great fear in understanding one’s own weaknesses. I know the opposite to be true. I see strength in your own full self discovery. We see women that look a certain way and are wearing certain things and we think that we have to imitate that to establish our identity. I see women everyday who are stretched to the brink, trying to do it all. As mothers, it’s important to relay to our children that weaknesses are a part of who we are, we are not defined by those rather we are defined by our strengths. When we truly know who we are, we can feel more comfortable making choices t...