Skip to main content

Raisin & Walnut Granola

Back to school is on my mind... Obviously this is a big and busy time for a lot of families. We start back the first week of August. For us that means getting back on track with sleep, routine, and nutrition. One of the things I’m going to focus on is easy ways to get kids out the door in the morning. One of those things, is a healthy and nutritious breakfast.

Homemade granola is really easy. I like it, because I can tailor the flavors for my family specifically. I have a slight allergy to almonds, so I try to be careful to avoid them. Have you ever shopped for granola without almonds??? It’s really hard. So making my own granola is my best bet.

Start with the things your family likes. I made ours very simple oats, raisins, and walnuts. The options are endless,  varieties of nuts, dried fruit and grains.





When using raisins, it’s really important to soak them in warm water for 30 minutes before making your granola. This prevents them from getting hard and crunchy in the oven as you cook your granola.

Next you need your fat and sweetener. Are used simple butter and honey. Coconut oil would be excellent, I just didn’t have any in my pantry. I melted one stick of butter in a microwave safe dish, added honey and vanilla and a dash of cinnamon to flavor the granola.




You bake this on a sheet pan on a thin layer at a low heat. Stir in every 10 to 15 minutes.

I cook mine for about 45 minutes. I like a golden brown but not too dark.

Raisin & Walnut Granola

3 Cups of old fashion Oats
1 1/2 Cups of Walnuts (finely chopped)
1 1/2 Cups of raisins (soaked in warm water for 30 minutes... drain before combining )

Mixed together in a large bowl

1 stick of melted butter
1 Tablespoon of good vanilla
1/3 cup of honey 
1 tsp cinnamon 

Stir wet ingredients with dry until mixed very well. 

Spread on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet

Bake at 325 for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Stirring every 10.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Everyday Shoes

Favorite Kicks I bought these shoes about a year & a half. I LOVE them. I stalked these shoes at my local DSW, I looked up outfits for these shoes on Pinterest. I did my due diligence.  Needless to say, I have already gotten my money worth and they are still kicking! I bought mine at my local Store. You can find them online HERE . These are Dr. Sholl’s brand. They have memory foam and are terrific for walking all day. Not to mention, they are a pretty reasonable price point, especially when you consider how often I wear them! I wear them with jeans, leggings and shorts. I’ve even paired them with the occasional relaxed dress. What I love most about them is that they are as comfortable as my running shoes, but they take it up a knotch with fashion & style.

Tomato Soup

Tomato Soup is an absolute classic.   Homemade tomato soup is  delicious and so easy, it also happens to be one of my family’s favorites. It’s easy to make on the stove top. A good heavy bottom pot, wooden spoon & immersion blender or regular blender. Ingredients: 1 medium onion 3-4 stalks of celery 6-7 carrots 1-2 tablespoons of butter Salt Pepper 1 tsp dried parsley 1 tsp dried basil 2 large cans or tomatoes  1 carton on chicken stock 1/2 cup Parmesan  Milk    or half & half  In a large pot, melt butter on medium high heat. Add large chunks of onion. Let get translucent or just a little browned. Then add celery and carrots. Large chunks is fin because this whole soup will get blended down. Season throughout cooking process. Stir regularly.  As veggies begin to soften add tomatoes. Stir well, put lid on and lower to medium/low heat. Let come to a boil stirring occasionally to avoid scalding...

Motherhood

Motherhood has the unique ability to expose our deepest weaknesses as well as highlight personal substance you never knew was there. In the trenches of the days of no sleep, spit up covered shirts and endless dirty diapers you discover the deepest part of who you are. One thing I have learned in the last almost 10 years of motherhood, is that knowing who I am is vital to my success. As Americans, I see great fear in understanding one’s own weaknesses. I know the opposite to be true. I see strength in your own full self discovery. We see women that look a certain way and are wearing certain things and we think that we have to imitate that to establish our identity. I see women everyday who are stretched to the brink, trying to do it all. As mothers, it’s important to relay to our children that weaknesses are a part of who we are, we are not defined by those rather we are defined by our strengths. When we truly know who we are, we can feel more comfortable making choices t...