Skip to main content

Peach BBQ Sauce

A friend of mine recently called and asked if I wanted some peaches they wouldn’t use before going out of town... I of course said yes! She brought over the better part of half a bushel. So I sat down made myself a cup of coffee and got to thinking what delicious things I’d make with these beauties.

Anytime you are working with fresh produce, you must taste the raw product. How ripe is it? How sweet is it? Tartness?


When we lived in KC, we were close enough to my in-laws to benefit from their extensive garden & orchard. One year during that time, they had an exceedingly large peach crop. So I made lots of different things that summer. One thing I made was a peach based barbecue sauce. I used someone else’s recipe. It was good, but too heavy on the molasses flavor. This time around I decided to make my own based on our likes and preferences.

I started by chopping a whole sweet onion. I browned it in the pan dry, no oil or butter. Next add peeled chopped peaches. I used 6-7 medium sized peaches. The peaches we had were the perfect mix of sweet & tart. I also added 3-4 cloves of garlic (paste) and 1 tablespoon of tomato paste.

Now time for spices. Salt (1/2 tsp), pepper (1/4 tsp), smoked paprika (1/4 tsp), red pepper flakes (1 shake) & brown sugar(1/4 cup).  All of these measurements are according to taste and the sweetness of the fruit....Please, Please Please taste as you go!

I used an immersion blender to make it smooth. A regular blender or food processor will work as well. Mine came out a little thick, so I added water to make it a more favorable consistency.

Taste as you go. The species on this are truly dependent on the sweetness of the peaches. I stored mine in mason jars in the fridge.  I didn't "properly can" it because I didn't really make enough to warrant that.  If you think you won't use it up right away, it will store nicely in the freezer.

I recommend this type of sauce with shrimp or chicken.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Everyday Shoes

Favorite Kicks I bought these shoes about a year & a half. I LOVE them. I stalked these shoes at my local DSW, I looked up outfits for these shoes on Pinterest. I did my due diligence.  Needless to say, I have already gotten my money worth and they are still kicking! I bought mine at my local Store. You can find them online HERE . These are Dr. Sholl’s brand. They have memory foam and are terrific for walking all day. Not to mention, they are a pretty reasonable price point, especially when you consider how often I wear them! I wear them with jeans, leggings and shorts. I’ve even paired them with the occasional relaxed dress. What I love most about them is that they are as comfortable as my running shoes, but they take it up a knotch with fashion & style.

Tomato Soup

Tomato Soup is an absolute classic.   Homemade tomato soup is  delicious and so easy, it also happens to be one of my family’s favorites. It’s easy to make on the stove top. A good heavy bottom pot, wooden spoon & immersion blender or regular blender. Ingredients: 1 medium onion 3-4 stalks of celery 6-7 carrots 1-2 tablespoons of butter Salt Pepper 1 tsp dried parsley 1 tsp dried basil 2 large cans or tomatoes  1 carton on chicken stock 1/2 cup Parmesan  Milk    or half & half  In a large pot, melt butter on medium high heat. Add large chunks of onion. Let get translucent or just a little browned. Then add celery and carrots. Large chunks is fin because this whole soup will get blended down. Season throughout cooking process. Stir regularly.  As veggies begin to soften add tomatoes. Stir well, put lid on and lower to medium/low heat. Let come to a boil stirring occasionally to avoid scalding...

Motherhood

Motherhood has the unique ability to expose our deepest weaknesses as well as highlight personal substance you never knew was there. In the trenches of the days of no sleep, spit up covered shirts and endless dirty diapers you discover the deepest part of who you are. One thing I have learned in the last almost 10 years of motherhood, is that knowing who I am is vital to my success. As Americans, I see great fear in understanding one’s own weaknesses. I know the opposite to be true. I see strength in your own full self discovery. We see women that look a certain way and are wearing certain things and we think that we have to imitate that to establish our identity. I see women everyday who are stretched to the brink, trying to do it all. As mothers, it’s important to relay to our children that weaknesses are a part of who we are, we are not defined by those rather we are defined by our strengths. When we truly know who we are, we can feel more comfortable making choices t...