Skip to main content

Spring Cleaning - - - Grout Cleaning

Once a year, I go to town on our house.  I do major cleaning this time of year, every year.  I don't do it all in one week.  I do it over the course of 4-5 weeks.  I am talking deep clean, every crack and crevice gets attention.

The past two weekends I have been focused on the 2 upstairs bathrooms.  Our master bath and the kids bath.  I have done a deep clean and scrub to the grout.   I deep clean and scrub both the floor grout and shower and bath grout.  The floor grout is something I only do once a year, the rest of the year its basic mopping.  But mopping doesn't get the deep down dirt.

We moved into this house about 2 1/2 years ago.  This house is older than me, we aren't going to talk about just how old that is....we'll just say north of 30.  So things aren't exactly what I would've chosen or pristine condition any more.  I love our older traditional home and we are making changes as we go.  But as anyone who has lived in something other than new construction...there are challenges.

I would definitely not choose white grout for a kids bathroom.  Although it can be bleached...its a lot of work to get clean and even more to keep it that way...but alas that it what we have.  So, I am working with what I have.

I have this Rubbermaid tool, it is like an industrial strength electric toothbrush.  My mother in law bought this for me, I am so glad because I use it all the time.  It has two brush heads.  One flat and one diamond shape for corners.  My next tricks is Soft Scrub with bleach.



First things first, this is not a short cut or quick trick.  This is a process and although the tool makes it easier it's not a magic wand.

Step 1:  Remove everything from the space and Vacuum
Step 2: Spread small amount on Softscrub on the grout and work it in with your tool.  I do this in small sections of the floor so I'm not getting cleaner on my clothes
Step 3: Let it sit for 30 minutes.
Step 4:  Dip tool in a bowl of water and work over the areas with the soft scrub
Step 5:  Wipe away excess
Step 6: Retreat any stubborn stains.
Step 7: Wipe area with wet paper towel
 Repeat to complete the entire floor
Step 8: Mop with plain water or stiffer to remove all remaining traces of cleaner

The picture below is in the kids bathroom. Same light, no filter.  I tried to take it in the exact spot.  I think my phone angle was a bit different, but you get the idea!  Dingy and gray to pure gleaming white!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Everyday Shoes

Favorite Kicks I bought these shoes about a year & a half. I LOVE them. I stalked these shoes at my local DSW, I looked up outfits for these shoes on Pinterest. I did my due diligence.  Needless to say, I have already gotten my money worth and they are still kicking! I bought mine at my local Store. You can find them online HERE . These are Dr. Sholl’s brand. They have memory foam and are terrific for walking all day. Not to mention, they are a pretty reasonable price point, especially when you consider how often I wear them! I wear them with jeans, leggings and shorts. I’ve even paired them with the occasional relaxed dress. What I love most about them is that they are as comfortable as my running shoes, but they take it up a knotch with fashion & style.

Tomato Soup

Tomato Soup is an absolute classic.   Homemade tomato soup is  delicious and so easy, it also happens to be one of my family’s favorites. It’s easy to make on the stove top. A good heavy bottom pot, wooden spoon & immersion blender or regular blender. Ingredients: 1 medium onion 3-4 stalks of celery 6-7 carrots 1-2 tablespoons of butter Salt Pepper 1 tsp dried parsley 1 tsp dried basil 2 large cans or tomatoes  1 carton on chicken stock 1/2 cup Parmesan  Milk    or half & half  In a large pot, melt butter on medium high heat. Add large chunks of onion. Let get translucent or just a little browned. Then add celery and carrots. Large chunks is fin because this whole soup will get blended down. Season throughout cooking process. Stir regularly.  As veggies begin to soften add tomatoes. Stir well, put lid on and lower to medium/low heat. Let come to a boil stirring occasionally to avoid scalding...

Motherhood

Motherhood has the unique ability to expose our deepest weaknesses as well as highlight personal substance you never knew was there. In the trenches of the days of no sleep, spit up covered shirts and endless dirty diapers you discover the deepest part of who you are. One thing I have learned in the last almost 10 years of motherhood, is that knowing who I am is vital to my success. As Americans, I see great fear in understanding one’s own weaknesses. I know the opposite to be true. I see strength in your own full self discovery. We see women that look a certain way and are wearing certain things and we think that we have to imitate that to establish our identity. I see women everyday who are stretched to the brink, trying to do it all. As mothers, it’s important to relay to our children that weaknesses are a part of who we are, we are not defined by those rather we are defined by our strengths. When we truly know who we are, we can feel more comfortable making choices t...