Skip to main content

Self Care


I don't know about you, but whenever I heard the term "Self-Care" it was on morning television or chick flicks. When I thought of 'Self-Care', I thought of over priced spa treatments, girls weekends and splurge worthy shopping trips. When I first became a mom, those things weren't feasible for me.  We could barely afford for me to stay home, let alone visit a salon or spa regularly. It has taken me awhile to understand the true definition of the term.

With more experience and children I understand self-care differently.  It literally means taking TIME to take care of YOURSELF.  If your life looks at all like mine, stay at home mom with three young kids, or you are working and trying to do it all, finding time is hard.  Between the cleaning, cooking, laundry, drop offs, sports practices etc etc etc the list is ever-growing.  Time, in our culture, is our most valuable commodity.  Time for a mom, is a diamond in the rough.  Finding time for yourself in the to do list laden everyday is precious.  So how do you do it?  Good question.  Sometimes, something's got to give.  Sometimes the dishes can wait.  Sometimes it's that basket of laundry.  Sometimes it's lightening the social calendar.

What does it look like?  Well, that is an easy answer.  It is different for everybody.  If you know me at all, whether digitally or in real life, you know I am always saying something to the effect of 'you have to know yourself'.  Another way to look at self care is feeding your soul.  What energizes you?  What refreshes your mind?  Gives you a positive outlook on life?  These things may change during different stages of life.  Are you an introvert or extrovert? For some people having coffee with a friend charges them up or getting together with a large group feeds their energy levels.  For others it may be a few moments of quiet in the morning in meditation and prayer.

For me, I have found that I must move my body.  I am not a fitness guru.  I do not have an instagram worthy figure, but I love to be active.  I play volleyball a couple of times a week, fitness classes and regular walks around the neighborhood. I find that I have more energy when I start my day with a nice 2-3 mile walk around the neighborhood pushing my almost 2 year old. We stop at the community playground and burn some of her energy.  Sometimes we have a friend join us, more often than not we go just the two of us.  It never fails that whatever is heavy on my mind(whether I realize it or not) comes to the forefront of my thoughts on these walks.  Whether it is the fresh air, quiet or melodic pattern of walking a familiar path, I always feel a greater sense of clarity.  Some of it is for that few minutes in the morning I do not look at my phone, I do not feel compelled to answer emails or texts.

Another way that I self care is doing my nails regularly.  If you go back a few posts, you can see my DIY nail tutorial.  I love having a fresh manicure, but a trip to the nail salon to not often in the budget .... money or time.  I don't know what it is about having a fresh manicure?  I guess it is the feeling of being put together, even when I am still wearing yesterdays mascara and sweaty yoga pants. I feel like the bit of pampering in the evening when the kids are in bed re-aligns me as a woman.  For that moment I am just a woman taking care of myself.

Self-Care is important.  It is vital to care for yourself so that you can properly and effectively care for your family.  It is harder than it seems to create time in our frantic life, but it is precious when done right. What can you try this week to care for you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Everyday Shoes

Favorite Kicks I bought these shoes about a year & a half. I LOVE them. I stalked these shoes at my local DSW, I looked up outfits for these shoes on Pinterest. I did my due diligence.  Needless to say, I have already gotten my money worth and they are still kicking! I bought mine at my local Store. You can find them online HERE . These are Dr. Sholl’s brand. They have memory foam and are terrific for walking all day. Not to mention, they are a pretty reasonable price point, especially when you consider how often I wear them! I wear them with jeans, leggings and shorts. I’ve even paired them with the occasional relaxed dress. What I love most about them is that they are as comfortable as my running shoes, but they take it up a knotch with fashion & style.

Tomato Soup

Tomato Soup is an absolute classic.   Homemade tomato soup is  delicious and so easy, it also happens to be one of my family’s favorites. It’s easy to make on the stove top. A good heavy bottom pot, wooden spoon & immersion blender or regular blender. Ingredients: 1 medium onion 3-4 stalks of celery 6-7 carrots 1-2 tablespoons of butter Salt Pepper 1 tsp dried parsley 1 tsp dried basil 2 large cans or tomatoes  1 carton on chicken stock 1/2 cup Parmesan  Milk    or half & half  In a large pot, melt butter on medium high heat. Add large chunks of onion. Let get translucent or just a little browned. Then add celery and carrots. Large chunks is fin because this whole soup will get blended down. Season throughout cooking process. Stir regularly.  As veggies begin to soften add tomatoes. Stir well, put lid on and lower to medium/low heat. Let come to a boil stirring occasionally to avoid scalding...

Motherhood

Motherhood has the unique ability to expose our deepest weaknesses as well as highlight personal substance you never knew was there. In the trenches of the days of no sleep, spit up covered shirts and endless dirty diapers you discover the deepest part of who you are. One thing I have learned in the last almost 10 years of motherhood, is that knowing who I am is vital to my success. As Americans, I see great fear in understanding one’s own weaknesses. I know the opposite to be true. I see strength in your own full self discovery. We see women that look a certain way and are wearing certain things and we think that we have to imitate that to establish our identity. I see women everyday who are stretched to the brink, trying to do it all. As mothers, it’s important to relay to our children that weaknesses are a part of who we are, we are not defined by those rather we are defined by our strengths. When we truly know who we are, we can feel more comfortable making choices t...